Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Ray's Game!

Last Sunday we took Nathan to his first professional baseball game. It was little league day at Tropicana Field, home of the Rays. Nathan plays for district 13, so we went with some of his teammates and some of the players and parents of other teams from Pinecrest Little League. Needless to say, Nathan loved it. Not long after we were seated, he looked at me and said, "Mom, I'm going to do this when I grow up."
The game began with presentation of the colors. The Rays were playing the Toronto Blue Jays so the special guest sang the Canadian national anthem as well as our Star Spangled Banner.

He was even happy to oblige me and pose for a few pictures. That made me happy because I didn't have to bribe him.
Our seats were just behind left field. Perfect to catch a Crawford or Upton home run ball.
We had a perfect view of Carl Crawford, who plays left field. He showed off a few times for us.
Nathan had his glove ready at all times. But, just as I suspected, when an opportunity to catch a ball didn't come in the first five minutes of our arrival, he was ready for something different.
First, came the $4 bag of cotton candy. Todd helped him eat that. I didn't.
More waiting. Then he convinced his daddy to take him to the concession stand. I was so glad they went.

Because, they came back with a Papa John's pizza and an ice cold Diet Coke. I was more than ready for the Diet Coke. Before they left to go get the pizza, Nathan handed me his glove with strict instructions to put it on in case a ball come our way. The little boy behind me had a ball he had gotten in warm ups. I asked him if I could borrow it to play a trick on my son and husband. So, when Todd and Nathan returned, I had a ball in Nathan's glove. The look on his face was priceless. And, I and the boys behind me, got a good laugh.
The Rays won 6-0, so it was a good day. After the game, Nathan and Logan posed for me in front of a Rays banner.

No comments: