Monday, March 3, 2008

Another "Mommy Moment"

One rainy day last year at the beach.

I had another "mommy moment" this morning taking Nathan to school. Last night Todd went with the team to a church in Lucea. Nathan and I didn't go because he had a book report due today and also because Todd doesn't come in from Lucea until after 11:00 PM. Nathan got tired early last night and he wanted me to lay down with him. I was tired too from the long day so, I told him to come get in bed with me. As he was getting his pajamas on, I heard him singing a song from church. He had the words all mixed up, but I didn't care I was just glad he was singing because he NEVER sings. I can't even bribe him to sing. He just has absolutely no interest in singing, whatsoever. As we crawled into bed, he was still singing. So, I joined in with the right words of Lord I Lift Your Name On High.

"You came from heaven to earth, to show the way. From the earth to the cross, my debt to pay, from the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky, Lord I lift your name on high." We sang it several times, repeating the last line, "Lord I lift your name on high, Lord I lift your name on high, Lord I lift your name on high." Then I got silly and started singing with the same tune, "Give your ma-uh-ma some sugar, give your ma-uh-ma some sugar." And of course he would lean over and kiss me. He thought that was funny for a few seconds, but then he went back to Mario on his DS.

This morning riding to school, he started singing again. I joined in and when we got to the last line, he would sing, "Give your ma-uh-ma some sugar," and lean over and kiss me. So, after singing that song through a few times, I thought I would go out on a limb and see if I could get him to sing another song with me. (Fat chance, I thought.) So, I asked, "What other song can we sing?" And, there it was, he looked at me with that sweet face of his, impetigo and all, and says, "I'll Always Come Back." Why was I surprised? I wasn't. What I was surprised at though, was when he belted out every word as if this was some every morning ritual of ours. Unfortunately, for those of us in our family with hopes of him being a good singer one day, I'm afraid he only hit one or two notes that were right. But, I didn't care, because we had the sunroof open and me and my boy were singing together and it was a mommy moment I won't soon forget!

1 comment:

Nathan's Uncle said...

What a cute picture of Bubby! And it even enlarges like mine.

Jesus, please give my nephew the gift of music . . . .

Uncle Howie